Saturday, August 26, 2017

Lisbon..Final Thoughts before Rome

Well…I made it to Rome…we were about 30 minutes late due to the strike, but all went well. I ended up sitting next to a 10 year old from Florida…he and his family were visiting relatives in Italy and had seen friends in Lisbon. He was a William with brown hair. Talked constantly about every plane at the airport…then kept track of the baggage loading, etc. The kid is a natural for the AF Academy and I told his mother so.  After we took off, though, he took a nap, as I did..and the 2 ½ hour flight was fine. The Rome airport is about 30 miles outside of the downtown area…so I caught a speed train in…and then walked 2 blocks to my hotel, a B&B Hotel located on a main street with street car outside, as well as buses. Very clean and quiet room, and very helpful staff…and away from the tourists…as this is a student area and non-tourist area….so very good to get away from the crowds.

First, let me wrap up the final convention day…as the Closing Plenary was very traditional and very emotional with the outgoing president and his entire family from Japan turning over the leadership to the new President, a lawyer and President of the University of Oklahoma Foundation, who also had his entire family and kids there on stage. They do a tribute to the past for the job done….and it is a production, to say the least. Then the concert, which is planned to honor the past and present. Last year in Bangkok it was an Asian program with Asian stars…this year European. I told you earlier about El Divo at the Opening Session…and the closing featured Fernando Varela who has gained stardom on the Dave Foster and Friends tour….he is one of the world class tenors, and he was joined by Hayley Westenra, who is currently in London but from New Zealand. She started singing professionally at age 14, and has performed for the Queen and many other state events, as well as for the George W. Bush and Tony Blair spectacular in London. Google her for more detail.
They were then joined by 2Cellos….two very talented guys from Croatia that are really great the fun to watch and just completed a tour with Elton John. Lisbon’s own St. Dominic’s Gospel Choir concluded the show…..but one of the highlights for me was the Orchestra Metropolitan of Lisbon. They were formed in 1992 and have toured the World, often seen as the backup orchestra from the PBS concerts throughout the world. I wished for many to be there with me just to see their instrumentation, their professional musicians, and the range of music, from classic to jazz. It is obviously the new wave in music…for their instrumentation was 20 strings, 2 oboes, 2 flutes, 2 bassoons, 2 trumpets, 2 horns, 2 trombones, piano and 3 electronic keyboards and electric bass…then a trap drummer, another percussion on 4 tymps, then an extra percussion guy that went from bells to wood block, etc. The harpist was featured on many of the numbers…and all of it with digital amplification…so it sounded like a hundred musicians. Their arrangements were fantastic, and I thought of John Schlenz, for they went from a hymn (Amazing Grace) ballad to a number by Queen and then to “When the Saints” with the choir. Just a fantastic 90 minute concert. Hayley brought the house down when she did one of the numbers from Les Mis….joined by Fernando,  and then the 2Cellos….and then the Choir. I think the crowd of 12-15,000 had few dry eyes….it was so well done. Probably the finest production number I have ever heard. Complementing this was the technical production done by a Lisbon company that apparently is kind of #1 in Europe. Their control booth had about 16 people working everything from remote cameras sweeping the audience to individual video guys on stage getting close ups of the musicians,,etc. It was just “awesome”…as is now frequently used to describe something that was this good. I do not know how the Closing could have been better. A true WOW evening.

So, got to the hotel in Rome at about 1…they told me about a little neighborhood pastry shop, which has all kinds of pastries and sandwiches…so went around the corner and ate…then got on Streetcar #8, which will be my main transport here. I got a 3 day pass card for about $9 which will allow me to ride on any public transport for three days. I did the same in Lisbon, and it is the only way to go…for you can get everyplace that buses, streetcars, trams, and trains go…just have to know which is which…and this is pretty easy for me. #8 took me right to the center of Rome…and I started looking for my Hop On-Hop Off bus. I had originally booked with GreyLine but their local vendor did not renew the contract, so I ended up with Yellow Bus, which is a double decker with the top open. These are really common now in all cities all over the world…for it is the best deal going in that you can see all of the important things in about 2 hours…and then do it as much as you want for the 48 hour ticket….I must admit the only part that I remember from when we visited back in the ‘60’s, was the Colosseum, and that was vague. So, all seemed new to me. We went by all of the tourist attractions, including St. Peters…where I have a tour on Monday.  First impression…Rome makes Lisbon look like Lisbon is in slow motion. Rome is really big…and lots of traffic and confusion and people….and many, many American tourists. Second impression….they know that the Americans will spend money….so they are doing things to keep that income coming in….so almost a Disneyland environment on the streets. Musicians and jugglers and guys like you see at Fisherman’s Wharf all over the place…people love it. Third impression. 20-30 years ago it was “let’s do things like America”, from wearing jeans to buying CD’s.  Now it is just the opposite. Let Americans come to us for what we have, we are, and the way we do things…for our way is better…..is the distinct impression I got. American cars used to be the big items…now very few are seen…but tons of Japanese, Korean, and even Russian cars, along with Lexus, Mercedes and BMW taxis. Same in Lisbon…I saw more big Lexus and Mercedes models in Lisbon than you see in SF or Las Vegas. All of the American brands are here, along with Gucci, Burberry, etc….and here in Rome, as in Lisbon….old buildings gutted and re-fitted with a new front face…and opens with Tiffany Jewelry…and on and on.

Well, tomorrow I start my visit of churches…I have 8 on the list…some do noon verspers….so should be a full day…

More to come…..

No comments:

Post a Comment