Saturday, August 26, 2017

Lisbon..Day 6 Before Flying to Rome

I will start this now as I am at the airport and there is no power here…so we are waiting. I awoke at 3:30 AM to catch the taxi…he got there about about 4:15 AM and I got to the airport at 4:30…along with about 500 that have early flights. I cleared through all, in that I am flying TAP Portugal so not many folks in line…the others were for the American airlines, etc…My flight is at 6:55 AM into Rome.

Wednesday was another exceptional day…starting off with my duty at the Plenary Session where I checked in the Voting Members. After it was over, I caught the Metro down to the River…took a quick River ride to get some photos and see what is on the other side…then back to the in town TAP office to verify today….and then to the public bus to go up to the Castle. This is the original one and I will  tell more about it when I have my notes…but it is another MUST see and really explains how Portugal was the king of the seas back when and how Lisbon was protected. Really a historically neat place. Stopped at a little shop for a ham sandwich and then went into two of the major churches downtown. They are magnificent and so well maintained, as they are used daily. At 5 went back out to the Convention Center for the closing Plenary…some great speeches by the incoming officers, especially the President Elect, who is from Oklahoma. Very impressive. Then came the concert….and again, Rotary International really knows how to pull these conventions off. Clearly one of the most exciting and so well done finale’s  that I have ever seen. In a separate e-mail I will go into the detail of the concert, and then copy my musician frinds as they will get something out of it…and I will copy you also. Briefly, it was an hour concert with the current European headliners…with the Lisbon Symphonic Ensemble, which is the same group that you hear backing up all lead singers when then do special programs. Most recently it was Elton John.

Got back to the hotel at 9…then packed and for the first night, had a crying baby on the floor…so a little late to sleep but up and at them today. I will arrive about 9 in Rome…got directions on the transportation to the hotel, so we shall see.

In summary, this convention surpassed last year in Bangkok…part of it the venue, and part of it the setting within Lisbon, and part of it this friendly and laid back attitude of the Portugal people.Really were out to please….and it showed in many ways.As I thought last night during the concert, the two Rotary Conventions have both been the best big conventions that I have ever attended. With a thousand volunteers…all wanting to help make the convention the best ever…with a staff working year round to make it happen…it is a win win. I reflected back to both the CB and the KW Conventions…and the one NAR that I attended. It is like a different league….these are world class, and since it is Rotary International, what else should be expected.

More to come….from Roma….with Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment