Saturday, August 26, 2017

Going to Dubai in 2011

I left Redding about 30 minutes behind schedule flying to San Francisco (SFO), and came over to the USO to wait for the Washington DC flight, which is a “red-eye”….leaving late Saturday and arriving early Sunday morning. Plans now call for taking the Washington Flyer Bus down to the West Falls Church Metro station…then changing to the East station…and walking over to the morning service at the Columbia Baptist Church, which we attended for 6 years when we lived in the Wash DC area. The rest of the day will be sightseeing in the Wash DC area…and then back to Dulles for the overnight flight to Dubai…scheduled to arrive Monday evening about 7:30 PM. The plan is for the Marriott to have a shuttle at the airport which will take me to the Courtyard Green Community Hotel…
A number of folks have asked  “why Dubai?”.  First, curiosity, for I have read so much about the development over the past 10 years that, starting a couple of years ago, I decided I wanted to see what is thought be many to be the “most modern city in the World”. Secondly, about 2 years ago I sold a house to a couple that had just visited Dubai while on a Mid East Cruise…and they “raved about it”. From the ultra modern lifestyle to the obvious and very apparent wealth, they were overwhelmed with the size of developments, the rapidity with which huge buildings were built, and the overall lifestyle for this modern Arab country.
My questions at this time about Dubai and Abu Dhabi, the two largest cities in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) range from water in the most desert of all deserts….to the religious toleration in a deeply Islamic country….to the real estate, where a few years ago it was some of the most expensive in the world….to the general business community where there are more US corporations located than any other middle eastern location…to the typical tourist locations, like the Burj Khalifa, the worlds tallest building to the Dubai Mall, considered one of the largest with an indoor ski mountain…to the man-made island with the ultra everything Princess Hotel and homes built on Palm Island.
Over the past few weeks I have been reading as much as time allowed about the UAE and both Dubai and Abu Dhabi…and there is a great deal on the internet. A book from the Redding Library was probably the most helpful, in that it was published just 2 years ago by a writer that approached the book from a historic view, a contemporary view, and a realistic view……not as a tourist. His observations on everything from the “mad house” traffic to the percent of foreign nationals and the number and styles of luxury cars sold, to the social and economic conditions…was most enlightening. Then, on the internet I have been reading the local on-line Dubai newspaper….and it has been giving various topics some interesting coverage, such as the large Indian presence…and the impact the Indians have on UAE life and business. This will be of special interest to me, for my time as an exchange student from UCLA to India with Project India in 1960 has always kept both India and Indians in a very special place in my life, and heart. It will be interesting to see their role in this Arab community.
So, this is kind of the “why am I going to Dubai?”….answer.  For those that have known me, and our family, over the years….know that Audy and I met in 1961 on the Experiment in International Living when Audy and I were living with German families in Berlin…Audy with Ursula and I with the Giese family…then after our marriage, we spent 3 years in the Air Force living in England…then with the children young, we traveled in Europe and then once back in the states…took frequent family vacations both in the US and overseas. In 1984 I joined World Vision, which allowed me to travel in various locations of the Third World…and then with Audy to China and eastern Europe…and 2 years ago I had the opportunity to go to the Queen’s Birthday Celebration in London…..so traveling is kind of “in my blood”. I just enjoy foreign and unfamiliar cultures and people….and this means travel…so here I am.
Tomorrow should be a good day….a day in Wash DC before I head out with Dubai my destination. Stay tuned.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment